Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Mountain to Fountain

This is one of my favorite races of the year and if you haven't done it you're missing out! I didn't really think about the consequences of running an early season half marathon followed up by a hard and hilly 15K the next weekend.  I paid for the decision to do these two races back to back with an injured hamstring shortly after, but I'll save that story for a later date.  News flash: I'm not 25 anymore.  :(    

Mountain to Fountain is run by a great group of people who have everything very organized and well run.  You are bussed out to McDowell Mountain Park and you run back into Fountain Hills.  The first couple miles are a fast downhill, followed by some rolling hills, and one major climb back into the city.  The race always attracts some super fast, 'real' runners as I like to call them, with prize money on the table.

Packet pickup was easy and simple at Sole Sports Scottsdale.  Lots of PowerBar product for the taking and great shirts as always.  Race day morning went smoothly.  We drove out to Fountain Hills, got on the bus right away, and next thing I knew it was start time.  The start is always a little crowded, it's not big enough for corrals.  Per normal standards, a lot of people try and move up to the  front who shouldn't be up there.  I just find a spot and settle in because it will clear out quickly. I tried to be fairly conservative on the downhill section because it's easy to blow your legs out.  Once the rollers come it's fun to reel back in the folks who went blasting past you on the downhills.  The big hill seemed harder this year, my legs were heavy and my breathing was very labored.  By the time I crested the top of the climb, by HR was pushing 190.  OUCH. I tried to recover quickly on the downhill section so I could hold it together for the final stretch.  Unfortunately, the wheels were falling off and I was definitely hurting coming into the finish shoot.  I finished with a PR, barely, in 1:07:00. 

One of the best parts of this race is that you can win lots of Four Peaks beer.  My Zoot teammates and I raced as part of a team and we lost by only three one hundredths of a second!!! Look out next year!

Mmmmm, beer!

Thank you to Muscle Milk, Tri Scottsdale, Zoot, Tribe Multisport, and Fitletic for the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment