Thursday, August 21, 2014

XTERRA Trail Run: McDowell Mountain

The XTERRA Arizona Trail Run Series is one of my favorites.  It's a low key, inexpensive, and challenging series with four different runs throughout the year.  The races always offer a shorter and a longer version.  In my opinion, the best race is the one at McDowell Mountain in February.  I love Pemberton Trail because it's not super rocky and the course flows nicely.  The hardest part of this race is that it's so early in the season.  Coming off some down time, it's challenging to be ready for a 15 trail run on February 2nd, but definitely worth it.  This year it was also my first race being apart of Team Zoot Southwest!

Packet pickup was really simple at Sole Sports Scottsdale.  PowerBar provides nutrition for the races and there were plenty of goodies available at packet pickup.  Race morning was easy and uneventful.  It's about a 45 minute drive out to McDowell Mountain Park and I made the trek with a couple friends. A visit to the 'ol porta potty and it was race time.

The beginning of this race is always pretty crowded.  There's no need to worry and jockey too much for a spot because it will quickly sort itself out.  I just tried to pick a consistent pace and stick with it. It's an upward grind for about five miles until a nice reprieve as you head down Dixie Mine for the turnaround. The out and back on Dixie Mine is tight single track so you have to pay attention and be considerate of people going the opposite way.  Once you climb back out of there, it's pretty much rollers all the way back.  The wheels started to fall off around mile twelve.  I was still running fine, but there wasn't much speed left in my legs.  Early season racing definitely caught up with me and I tried to hold it together the best I could until the finish.

Reuniting with my girls post race!

Me and my super fast friend, Erin!


I was very happy to see a seven minute PR on this course, which was lucky enough to land me 2nd AG/6th OA.  One thing I think is silly about Xterra races is that they don't remove the overall winners from the age groups.  Removing the overall winners gives additional people the opportunity to get on the podium. I wore my Fitletic Single Pouch Running Belt with two hydration bottles added on; it was the perfect setup.  I drank from the aid stations when I passed them and used the hydration bottles when I was out in the middle of nowhere. 

Such a fun day at the races. Always awesome to have Muscle Milk at the race!
Thank you to Tri Scottsdale, Tribe Multisport, Zoot Sports, Muscle Milk, and Fitletic, for all of the support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment