Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Marquee Race Report

I decided to race two days before the event.  Last year my plan had been to take a break after IMAZ and then pick it back up to race Leadman.  Due to the fractured foot, my plans were a bit altered.  Early in the year, I spent a lot of time building my run back up and honestly I wasn't riding very often.  The cold desert mornings didn't help with my motivation.  I wasn't sure I was ready to race a triathlon yet, but decided on Friday I had nothing to lose and signed up for the Marquee Olympic

This entire weekend was huge for triathlon in Arizona!  The City of Tempe was the host city for the USAT Collegiate National Championship.  Friday and Saturday it was awesome to see so many college athletes racing for their respective schools.  Sunday capped off with the Leadman, Marquee Olympic, and Marquee Sprint triathlons; you  know for us 'older' folks. 
All signed up & realized I didn't have a race kit to wear.  My friend Erica was so kind and dropped this off for me!  


This was my first race on my new Trek.  I went to put my race wheels on and quickly realized that this frame was much more advanced than my last one.  I quickly realized I wouldn't be racing with race wheels; oh well.  Anyway, race morning came and I was off.  The swim was pretty uneventful.  I was passed with approximately 200 meters to go and all I could focus on was, 'who is that?!'  I must've passed her in the transition because I didn't see her again.  Ironically enough, my bike was successful.  Even though I felt like I wasn't bike fit, I didn't suffer too badly.  As of Thursday I hadn't decided I was going to race yet, so I did a lovely leg weight session after the group ride.  Best decision ever.  NOT.  I needed to assist myself onto the toilet come Friday morning.  Needless to say, I suffered on the run.  Heavy and sore legs were not ideal for the running scared scenario I was in come Sunday morning.  There's proof in the phrase, anything can happen.  I was being run down the entire time and I knew it.  At each out and back section, I could see the girls gaining on me.  I just kept telling myself, keep running, just keep moving forward.  Finally, just under the Mill Ave bridge, as we were about to enter the finish chute, someone caught me.  Crap.  She ran up next to me and we were shoulder to shoulder.  I decided I might as well go down fighting, so I sprinted, all the way to the finish line.  Somehow, luckily, I got there first.  We shook hands, I learned her name was Courtney and she was so sweet.  Suddenly I felt bad, she did all that work to catch me and then I stole it back.  Argh.  All my congrats to Courtney; fantastic run and thank you for pushing me.

Heading to the finish.

The stars aligned this day for 1st OA. 

Erica tearing up the Leadman podium.

The swag bag.  Simple, but useful.  I heard people throwing their noses up at the Commitment Day calendars, but I LOVED it.  Hello, office supply/organizer hoarder.  I always love a Headsweats visor.

I'm very to happy to have chosen to race, great things came from it.  More on that in the next post.  Thank you to Erica for the Tri Scottsdale kit, Muscle Milk for the appropriate recovery, Zoot for my favorite shoes, and my Oakley's for never fogging up.

No comments:

Post a Comment