Friday, April 5, 2013

Mountain to Fountain Race Report

Last year was the first time I did the Mountain to Fountain 15K put on by the Bandidos and I loved it!  I couldn't wait to do it again.  This year I wasn't sure I was going to be ready for the mileage, given the foot, so I signed up at the last minute.  Even doing so, I paid $50, which I think it is a great deal for this race.  Packet pickup was simple, held at Sole Sports Scottsdale on Saturday. The swag bag included a buy one get one free Chipotle gift card, tech tee, race number, and bus directions for race morning.  I LOVE the shirt; women's fit and V neck!  The drawstring bag was to be used as your drop bag; love the efficiency. 

Love these colors!
The race starts at McDowell Mountain Park in the Pemberton Trail Parking Lot and you run back to the fountain in Fountain Hills.  You have to park in Fountain Hills and take one of the buses to get to the start.  There was tons of parking close to the buses and I walked right onto a bus at 7:00 am.  It was about a 20-25 minute ride out to the park.  Of course I went straight to the port-o-potty line from the bus.  After taking care of business, I had a little pre-race Honey Stinger waffle snack because at that point it had been three hours since I'd eaten breakfast.  Bags had to be dropped by 7:45 and then it was time to line up.  I would have liked to pee again, but the lines were too long at that point; suck it up buttercup.
 
I  could never pick a favorite product, love them all!

Last year I went 1:09, so my coach and I decided 1:08 was a good goal.  I knew I was in better shape/weight this year, but I was worried about the endurance aspect.  My longest run, since the injury, had been nine miles so nothing about that was screaming PR.  I knew I needed to average around 7:20-7:23 to meet my goal, so when I hit the first mile at 7:46, I had a slight panic attack.  I told myself to relax and not to look at my watch again for a couple miles.  I had failed to remember that the first mile of the race was slightly uphill, followed by 3-4 downhill miles.  It all went by relatively quickly and next thing I knew, I was at the hilly section.  I tried to stay loose, not tense up my shoulders, and keep the breathing steady.  Success.  I started pulling people back in who had previously passed me.  I made the final turn onto the road with the fountain and knew the finish line was close.  This race isn't spectator heavy, but as you make the final turn, people start filling the street.  I crossed the finish line in 1:07 and change and I was elated. 

Brandon and I representing Tri Scottsdale.
Muscle Milk was the first stop for post race fuel; so glad to see them there.  There was a buffet of food to choose from as well.  My favorite was the Sunflower Seed Spread and corn thin packets; yummo!  Obtaining the drop bag was simple and fast.  They also had results on scrolling TVs, which is so much easier than trying to read posted paper sheets.  I believe there was free beer to be had as well, but I just wasn't interested at the time.  I realize that time might have just stood still at that admittance.  

Kristen, super sherpa & super trooper!
This race is simple and fun.  There aren't massive crowds of people, it's relatively cheap, and it's point to point. Everything is well run and I highly recommend.  If you don't live in AZ, come out and enjoy this awesome race during one of our gorgeous weather months.  This race draws lots of super fast runners as well.   As happy as I was with my time, I was the 40th woman to cross the line.  The winner went a 51!  Can you even imagine? 

No comments:

Post a Comment