Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spring in AZ - The most wonderful time of the year

Arizona isn't complete without some spring training.  A group of friends and I organized a cruiser ride over to the Scottsdale Stadium for a Giants/Diamondbacks game. 


Nothing but fun
Two girlfriends and I had a dinner party where I tried lobster for the first time.  Yes, I live under a rock.  I'm not a huge seafood fan, so this was a big leap for me.  Verdict?  That stuff is way too much work for me; crack it, peel it, eat it.  No thanks.  Please deliver my food ready to be devoured; so I can eat it like a Marine.
Wine, kale salad, paella!

Wine Bitch.  I love this glass.
I can't believe people work this hard for their food.
Eric and I ventured to a new restaurant, Il Bosco, at the recommendation of our friends Julie and Chris.  Holy fantastic-ness.

 
For starters, they give you a plate of olives upon arrival.  Eric hates olives, which is the perfect scenario for yours truly.
Love the simple, but yummy menu

I tend to complain about wood-fired pizza places because I think the pizza always tastes burnt.  Well, I was set straight here, no burnt pizza.  I loved it!

Where the magic is made.
Some of the best pizza I've ever had.

We went all out as opposed to our normal frugal-ness.  I got a caesar salad and Eric got the meatball appetizer.  My salad was standard and the meatballs were good, but nothing overly fantastic.  They also serve you fresh bread and some olive oil dipping sauce, which was awesome!  The pizza was absolutely outstanding.  Eric just had to have some of the wood fired apple pie.  He was in heaven.  I prefer to drink my dessert.  Lush much?!

We also tried a new place in the hood; how we affectionately refer to our neighborhood.  The Blind Pig features an upscale Mexican-style menu along with a local butcher shop.  I'll sum up the experience with one word, FANTASTIC!
The Blind Pig.  SW corner of Osborn & Hayden.

We ordered the guacamole to get started and it was nothing short of awesome.  I went with the two short rib tacos, which comes with a bowl of rice on the side.  The rice is slightly spicy with a bit of chorizo mixed in; it has to be some of the best I've ever had.  My meal cost $6; I do not kid about these types of things.  Amazing deal!  Eric went with the pork burrito and a side of beans.  The beans are stew-like with a spicy zest; muy bueno.  We've been back since and have also tried the wild mushroom quesadilla and added chicken as well as the shrimp and corn tamale.  I think the most expensive entree on the menu is $10.  An added bonus is the sweet and attentive staff as well as the nice patio in the courtyard. 

$5 make me holla!
Who doesn't love beans?

No comments:

Post a Comment