Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Purgatory: Durango Mountain Resort

Eric and I took a last minute surprise trip to Purgatory in Durango, CO at the end of February.  It was perfect timing for our two year anniversary.  The drive there was pretty uneventful, but I think I've seen all I need to of New Mexico. It took us about eight hours on the way there; we were definitely taking our time.



The snow really started coming down about five miles outside the resort.  Eric was doing a lovely job driving even though I was white knuckling the dashboard.  Once at the resort, we had to go up the mountain on a couple of switchbacks and that's when the fun really started.  The 'ol wagon was sliding, the traction light was flashing, and I thought my life would end before I ever hit Colorado snow.  I made a couple of nervous comments and got the 'silence' look, so I closed my eyes until we safely pulled into the parking garage. 

 

We got checked into our little mini condo.  It was a one bedroom studio with a full kitchen, murphy bed/kitchen table, a living area and desk, a patio, mudroom, and full bathroom.  It had a gorgeous view and you walked right out onto the slopes.  


It snowed pretty much all night, which was awesome.  There aren't a ton of restaurants at the resort and luckily we got on it pretty quickly because they aren't open late either.  We decided on the Creekside Italian Kitchen for the first night.  We chowed down on some yummy salads and pizza.  

Evening snowfall.  Gorgeous.
Good Morning Durango!  I could not get over this view.

Amazing views.
The first day was pretty chilly and lots of powder runs.  I blame the powder on my freezing and wet feet.  I made it until about 2pm and then I met my friend Irish Coffee in the lodge.  Once Eric got kicked off the slopes, we met at The Bear Bar for cocktails.

Super Skiier
Wannabe Snow Bunny



Proof it was cold; frozen camelback!

Pretending it's nice and warm!
Apres beer!
That evening we ventured to the other dinner choice at the resort, Purgy's.  The food was good, but it was incredibly overpriced.  We weren't overly impressed.  The next morning I decided to hit the treadmill before the mountain while Eric was off to hit the black diamonds.  

Pretty snazzy workout room for a ski resort.
I met Eric at the one of the on-mountain pubs for a midday snack before we got to serious ski business.  It really was the perfect day; not nearly as cold as the day before and sunny.  We skied until they closed the lifts on us.
Fun place for a break.
Private mountain anyone?!
Love selfies.
Look Ma, no poles!  Ignore the fact that I almost slid backwards off the mountain.
Loving this day!
Purgatory Village on a perfectly sunny and warm winter day.

Yes, please!
Fun times
Goodnight Purgatory!
Our last night we decided to venture into Durango for dinner. We decided on Steamworks Brewing Co. after both a local and a friend's suggestions.  It was a quick 20 minute drive to town from the resort and it was a fantastic choice. 

All in!

So many choices.  I went Hefe...of course.
I begged to stay one more day, but Eric said I had to get back to making a living for us.  I kid.  The local bartender suggested Carver Brewing Co for breakfast.  I ate myself into a food coma and then let my chauffeur drive me back to Phoenix.  It was such a great trip; I can't wait to go back.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great time!! Please don't tell me how you almost slid over the edge!! Mothers tend to have weak hearts!

    ReplyDelete